Saturday, August 1, 2009

Gajar Ka Halwa

These days P is working crazy hours and nothing lifts up his spirits as sweets especially Indian Mithai. He is crazy over Sukhdi, Seera, Soan Papdi, Magas, Rossogulla, Phirni, actually the list is endless.
Hot Gajar ka Halwa is one of the things he loves.
So today, I thought, as he isn't having his regular portion of meals, I should prepare some mithai to compensate his lack of appetite. Hence I attacked my ladder to find something to make some nice Mithai, I came across a tin of Sweetened Condensed Milk and I remembered I had a few Carrots in my fridge too. And so within 45 mins I had a casserole full of Gajar halwa decorated with saffron and dry fruits and cardamom on my counter-top.

Ingredients :
4 large or approx 1 1/2 pounds carrots (washed, dried, peeled and shredded)
1/3 tin sweetened condensed milk (approx 130 gms)
1 cup full fat milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder
1 tbs dry raisins (soaked in warm water for about 10-15 mins)
slivered almonds and cashew 2 tbsp
1 tsp saffron (soaked in 1 tbsp warm milk)

Preparation Method :

In a wide heavy bottom pan add shredded carrots along with 1 cup milk and let it cook for around 12-15 mins or untill carrots are soft, tender and almost cooked. Keep stirring occasionally.
Add sweetened condensed milk and sugar. Let it cook for another 10 mins or until required consistency of Halwa is achieved.
Now add saffron, slivered dry fruits and drained raisins along with cardamom powder to halwa. Mix well and turn off the Heat.
Remove Halwa into a Storage or serving utensil like a casserole or microwave safe bowl (which makes it easy to store and reheat in case of leftover) .

Tips :
In case condensed milk is unsweetened, increase the sugar quantity as per taste.

In case of absence of any kind of condensed milk altogether, increase the quantity of milk to 2 cups along with sugar. If u have milk powder on hand add 2 tbs to halwa along with 2 cups of milk, this will increase the aroma and will give nice chunkiness to halwa.

Wish I hadn't forgotten my camera in India, wish I could have posted snaps of this lovely adventure of mine. Sheer sight of the casserole makes me drool. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment