Saturday, February 27, 2010

Channa Masala (Chickpea curry)




I had to make something special today, today being my mom & dad's 32nd wedding anniversary :). Happy Anniversary mum and pappa. So today mine dinner menu goes like this- Channa masala with trikon/traingular paratha, hummus and litchi juice.

Channa masala is a very special dish for me as it attaches some very fine memories with my family especially my mom and dad. This was the first dish that my mom taught me when i was just 13 and that day I was soooo eager for my dad to come home and taste it. I remember, even though I had managed to burn this curry, my dad ate it with appreciation in his eyes. This is the only dish which really makes me feel at home.
P too loves this dish as it is a spicy curry and he is a foodie who loves everything that is hot and spicy. :)

Ingredients:

3 cups boiled chole channa/chickpeas
2 medium sized onions chopped finely
3 large tomatoes/4 medium tomatoes chopped finely / 3 tbs tomato paste, diluted in 1/2 cup water / 2 1/2 cups medium thick tomato juice (i used tomato paste as it give this gravy nice colour)
2 green chillies chopped finely
1 tbs grated ginger
2 tsp grated garlic
2 tbs oil
2 tbs dhania-jeera powder/coriander-cumin powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chilli powder (i used kashmiri lal mirch powder)
1 tsp garam masala/all spice
1 1/2 tsp chole channa masala
salt to taste
1 cup water
hand ful of chopped coriander leaves/cilantro for garnish.

combine and grind to powder:
2 tbs til/sesame seeds
1 tbs saunf/fennel seeds


Method:

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic, ginger and pepper and sauté over medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes.
Turn heat down to medium-low and add the coriander-cumin, red chilli, turmeric, channa masala and garam masala. Cook onion mixture with spiced for a minute or two, then add the tomatoes and any accumulated juices, scraping up any bits that have stuck to the pan. Add the ground powder of sesame and fennel seeds
Cook for about 7 mins or till the raw tomato taste has gone.
Add the water and chickpeas. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, then stir in salt and lemon juice if you prefer tangy curry.
Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.


Tips:
Add lemon juice or amchur powder to make this curry more tangy if you prefer.
Fennel seeds adds that zing to this gravy adjust the aroma according to your preference. I prefer minimal to mild aroma of fennel hence have adjusted in accordance in this dish.
Serve it with paratha or jeera rice. Goes well with plain steamed rice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment